Fiesta Club Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Media Appearances

How does the L transmision work for our Fofi actually

+12
Elten a/k Jong
flames84
carbonara
faiziman87
cossie
Tristan
aaronsim
Azeem Zuhair
Aizad
yeekang
sfunglee
kentheking89
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How does the L transmision work for our Fofi actually Empty How does the L transmision work for our Fofi actually

Post by kentheking89 2011-09-13, 3:44 am

Hi ALL,

Newbie here, I have been wondering for a while how do our L transmission actually work.
I've tried to do some research in google and I get no result.
Any kind member here please enlighten me?
kentheking89
kentheking89
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

How does the L transmision work for our Fofi actually Empty Re: How does the L transmision work for our Fofi actually

Post by sfunglee 2011-09-13, 8:56 am

L = 1st gear izzit?
sfunglee
sfunglee
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

How does the L transmision work for our Fofi actually Empty Re: How does the L transmision work for our Fofi actually

Post by yeekang 2011-09-13, 11:52 am

our L gear can reach till 5th gear or 180kmh as tried by Uncle Farid.. I used it myself when coming down cameron and it reach speed more than 100kmh.. I hope this info is useful to you Very Happy

yeekang
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Aizad 2011-09-13, 4:18 pm

Our L gear will maintain your shifting just before the redline and 4K RPM. It's best for spirited driving where you'll high revving ur engine all the time.
Aizad
Aizad
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Azeem Zuhair 2011-09-13, 7:09 pm

To me, L is 'Sport' mode. If u are in hurry, better use L.

Azeem Zuhair
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sfunglee 2011-09-14, 8:02 am

Aiya mine 1.4 no "L"mode...
sfunglee
sfunglee
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by aaronsim 2011-09-16, 12:13 pm

omg! it works. it change gears. Is that america label the wrong alphabet? We should change the L to S. haha!
aaronsim
aaronsim
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tristan 2011-09-16, 2:25 pm

aaronsim wrote:omg! it works. it change gears. Is that america label the wrong alphabet? We should change the L to S. haha!

Ya, just that we couldn't manually decide to kick down one gear when we needed extra power. I would actually prefer the +/- gear selection instead of the voice control which I rarely use.
Tristan
Tristan
FCM VIP DONOR
FCM VIP DONOR

Back to top Go down

Post by cossie 2011-09-17, 1:02 am

L is Lunatic mode!
cossie
cossie
Verified Member
Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by aaronsim 2011-09-17, 9:49 am

Tristan wrote:
aaronsim wrote:omg! it works. it change gears. Is that america label the wrong alphabet? We should change the L to S. haha!

Ya, just that we couldn't manually decide to kick down one gear when we needed extra power. I would actually prefer the +/- gear selection instead of the voice control which I rarely use.

Ya, I agree with u.
When I need a instant kick down to lower gear, I need to press the downhill or overdrive button from gear stick.

Anyone tried change from D to L mode while driving normal to sport behaviour?
aaronsim
aaronsim
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by aaronsim 2011-09-17, 9:51 am

cossie wrote:L is Lunatic mode!
Twisted Evil
I like that. haha!
aaronsim
aaronsim
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by faiziman87 2011-09-17, 5:12 pm

r u guys sure L mode is similar to Sports mode? isnt the L mode is like the ones in any other auto transmission?meaning lower gear to provide higher engine breaking? im worried it will reduce the life of the transmission

faiziman87
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cossie 2011-09-17, 8:34 pm

faiziman87 wrote:r u guys sure L mode is similar to Sports mode? isnt the L mode is like the ones in any other auto transmission?meaning lower gear to provide higher engine breaking? im worried it will reduce the life of the transmission

if it will reduce the life of the transmission, ford/getrag wouldn't design it with the 'L' (lunatic option).
cossie
cossie
Verified Member
Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by faiziman87 2011-09-17, 9:29 pm

i tried the L mode..v responsive but im worried of the car holding the rev for too long when i slow down..the engine makes a loud noise

faiziman87
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cossie 2011-09-17, 9:31 pm

faiziman87 wrote:i tried the L mode..v responsive but im worried of the car holding the rev for too long when i slow down..the engine makes a loud noise

if you're worried, don't use it.
cossie
cossie
Verified Member
Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by aaronsim 2011-09-18, 3:30 am

cossie wrote:
faiziman87 wrote:i tried the L mode..v responsive but im worried of the car holding the rev for too long when i slow down..the engine makes a loud noise

if you're worried, don't use it.

I tried mine, the Lunatic is working like pure sport mode! Hehe! It is aggressive!

Then our PowerShift have 3 modes!
aaronsim
aaronsim
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sfunglee 2011-09-19, 8:48 am

Loud means high RPM???
sfunglee
sfunglee
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kentheking89 2011-12-13, 11:17 pm

sfunglee wrote:Loud means high RPM???

It will basicly drag ur RPM till 6K only change gear, tested it the other day.
kentheking89
kentheking89
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sfunglee 2011-12-14, 8:23 am

Yup i try it before I get the car =)

That is how to TEST DRIVE a TEST DRVIE CAR
sfunglee
sfunglee
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carbonara 2012-05-11, 11:09 pm

L is low gear, used to creep down a very very steep hill at a low speed... The reason why when in L it can rev up to redline, then shift up, then redline, then shift up, until top gear, is to protect the gearbox... Older cars in L mode wont shift up until the gearbox goes kaboom...

L is not for sport... In D, u can drive like a . or The Stig... You can modulate your gear selections by playing with the input of the throttle i.e. full press or lift off

carbonara
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by flames84 2012-05-12, 3:52 pm

i agree with carbonara.
I tried my L gear only up to 120km/h and the engine is very loud.

The gearbox switches the gear at different RPM depend on how hard you press the peddle

flames84
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Elten a/k Jong 2012-06-23, 4:58 pm

Hi all.

What's the different between O/D button and the L mode, then? Silly question this might be, but does this make u wonder?

Elten
Elten a/k Jong
Elten a/k Jong
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by flames84 2012-06-24, 9:48 am

watch this video
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

flames84
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zeelfa2404 2012-06-26, 8:17 pm

Good info bro. Thanks a lot!
zeelfa2404
zeelfa2404
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carbonara 2012-06-27, 11:41 am

Elten,

to understand the function of OD (overdrive) off, u need to understand how manual gearbox works

Every modern gearbox has a overdrive gear, which is the top gear... Be it, 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th, depending on the car (5 speed, 6 speed, etc etc)... In Ford Fiesta S, it's 6 speed rite?... that means the overdrive gear is the 6th gear... Being an auto, u wont noticed how many times it has changed gear, and what gear u're on...

Overdrive gear is the cruising gear... It has lowest torque and lowest engine braking... This is for fuel efficiency... The nature of this gear is that, when u're not pressing the accelerator pedal, the speed is either constant, slowing down slowly, or when going downhill, it will go even faster... In other gears, engine braking exist, where as u're not pressing the accelerator pedal, the car will become slower in any condition...

Okay if u're in a manual car, and in top gear (say 6th gear), and u approach a downhill... What do u do?... Normally, other than braking the hell up (and increase brake pad wear), we drop gear to 5th... This will instantly slow down the car... Not just downhill, sometimes when we're approaching a red traffic light, a slow MyVi on fast lane, or approaching to a stop, we will naturally drop our gear till the 2nd lowest gear to match our speed...

Since in an auto gearbox (OD off is only in autobox), u cant choose your gears (unless u have tiptronic system), u can do this by pressing the OD off button... Get it?... Overdrive off.. meaning the gear will not go to overdrive gear, which is the 6th in fiesta S, because it has turned off... U can use this when going downhill, approaching a traffic light, or any condition that requires u to slow down coz this will allow your engine to be in optimum engine speed when u want to accelerate back, and also reduce brake pad wear...

carbonara
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next