Fiesta Club Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Media Appearances

Gear Control

+7
dershyong
sfunglee
Redline
Eddy Chong
Dias
Founder
Aizad
11 posters

Go down

Gear Control Empty Gear Control

Post by Aizad 2011-08-14, 2:00 pm

Hi, just out of curiosity, is it true when at the traffic light we have to set our gear to N while waiting. If not, after some time, the gearbox start to cause vibration to the car. is it true? Sorry, i'd never owns an auto tranny car before.
Aizad
Aizad
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Gear Control Empty Re: Gear Control

Post by Founder 2011-08-14, 2:08 pm

Aizad wrote:Hi, just out of curiosity, is it true when at the traffic light we have to set our gear to N while waiting. If not, after some time, the gearbox start to cause vibration to the car. is it true? Sorry, i'd never owns an auto tranny car before.

Hi Aizad, I don't think so bro its necessary to put it in N every time. I no expert in the gearbox mechanics but till now with all my cars, i don't seem to be facing any issues or experience any degrading symptoms. (Touching Wood) hehehe... Maybe others can chip in some advice. Maybe Dias has a point of view with this theory, thanks in advance coz i myself is curious if it really does any damage on the long run.

Jason Lim
FCM Founder and Creator
Founder
Founder
FCM Founder
FCM Founder

https://fiestaclubmalaysia.forumms.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Dias 2011-08-14, 2:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Q. What other advantages does PowerShift offer compared to conventional transmissions?

A. The Fiesta PowerShift transmission has a feature that we call ‘neutral idle’. When you are stopped at a traffic light with your foot on the brake, in the ‘Drive’, or ‘D’ gear mode, the clutches fully disengage. In a conventional automatic there’s always some torque on the driveline when you are in ‘D’ mode. With this technology, however, the clutches fully disengage when you come to a stop, and this helps to save fuel.

The only wear and tear that you'll get is the from the constant shifting of the stick from D to N and back to D. Of course, there's also the issue of courtesy where the driver waiting in line behind you have to be subjected to the lights of your third brake light. Maybe okay during daytime but when it's night...
Dias
Dias
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder 2011-08-14, 3:12 pm

Dias wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Q. What other advantages does PowerShift offer compared to conventional transmissions?

A. The Fiesta PowerShift transmission has a feature that we call ‘neutral idle’. When you are stopped at a traffic light with your foot on the brake, in the ‘Drive’, or ‘D’ gear mode, the clutches fully disengage. In a conventional automatic there’s always some torque on the driveline when you are in ‘D’ mode. With this technology, however, the clutches fully disengage when you come to a stop, and this helps to save fuel.

The only wear and tear that you'll get is the from the constant shifting of the stick from D to N and back to D. Of course, there's also the issue of courtesy where the driver waiting in line behind you have to be subjected to the lights of your third brake light. Maybe okay during daytime but when it's night...

Thanks for the great info Dias!!!

Jason Lim
FCM Founder and Creator
Founder
Founder
FCM Founder
FCM Founder

https://fiestaclubmalaysia.forumms.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Aizad 2011-08-14, 6:03 pm

That means it's better to leave it to D instead of N isn't it? I don't mind braking for long time, coz sometimes can skodeng couples behind. hahaha... Razz .
Aizad
Aizad
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddy Chong 2011-08-14, 10:16 pm

Thanks FCM and Jason- this site gives real good ways to learn more of our Fiesta, not to mention the fun and fellowship that we can build up. Cheers

Eddy Chong
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Redline 2011-08-23, 5:57 pm

Personally I just leave in D for most situations. Unless, I know that traffic light is gonna be extra long, I might put to N and give my foot a rest.

On a side note, its really funny that some drivers will put to P at every stop...I know because their reverse light flashes and I'm thinking what's wrong with them lol...
Redline
Redline
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sfunglee 2011-08-23, 11:29 pm

This is maybe the dual clutch technology
sfunglee
sfunglee
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dershyong 2011-08-24, 10:34 am

Redline - Nice rims. Running on 17s?

dershyong
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sky9683 2011-08-24, 9:13 pm

My bad habbit ,always N mode when I fully stop !
Sky9683
Sky9683
Verified Member
Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Aizad 2011-08-25, 10:12 am

Me too. I'm too used to manual tranny. So, everytime i stopped at traffic light will hold the gear and change to N. sometimes, while driving also accidentally hold the gear. hahaha...
Aizad
Aizad
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbarian 2011-08-25, 11:38 am

for conventional auto gearbox, it's best to keep it in D so that circulation of atf is maintained to cool it... I have no idea about twin clutch though....
Barbarian
Barbarian
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sfunglee 2011-09-04, 9:51 pm

Anyway if switching to "N" at traffic light shud be fine...
Damn my fren switch to "N" when downhill at Jln Duta Toll at PLUS highway also any downhill traffic light in Taman Desa area...
sfunglee
sfunglee
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by faranadia.a 2013-02-06, 12:48 pm

hi guys... do any of you have any idea how to do engine braking/ shift down?cuz if i shift from D to L at higher speeds, it goes down so low im afraid ill rip my gearbox in no time...how do i retain the lower gears if i want some power or to maintain my rpm?
faranadia.a
faranadia.a
Verified Member
Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dares 2013-02-06, 1:59 pm

If driving at speed, just press the gas pedal deeper to induce a downshift. If you are already cruising in 6th gear, press the grade assist/OD off button on the side of the gearknob to instantly downshift to 5th gear.

If going downhill and need some engine braking, press the same button. if you need more engine braking, use L.

Generally there is no need to use L except for going up or down very steep hills.
dares
dares
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by faranadia.a 2013-02-06, 2:02 pm

dares wrote:If driving at speed, just press the gas pedal deeper to induce a downshift. If you are already cruising in 6th gear, press the grade assist/OD off button on the side of the gearknob to instantly downshift to 5th gear.

If going downhill and need some engine braking, press the same button.

ah i get it now... so i can just use that grade assist button to downshift isit? cool.... thank you! Smile
faranadia.a
faranadia.a
Verified Member
Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down