Media Appearances

Fiesta Transmission

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Fiesta Transmission

Post by dershyong on 2011-08-11, 5:26 pm

Mr kopiko (your nick so cute. Haha.)

So far I have not notice any "weird" noise coming from the gear box accept for the dual clutch sound when it change gears. The dual clutch sound is not a problem. I have actually checked with my own brother who is driving the Golf GTi and apparently even the DSG gearbox have similar issues when travelling at "stop & go" speed. The dual clutch system is meant to be driven fast and hard. It stumbles a little when there is a crawl. So therefore, we need to practice on the slow acceleration technique when we are trapped in a jam.

The dragging sound is actually just the engine noise. So I don't think it is a problem. This only happens to my car when in the basement carpark 'cos I need to go round and round, stop and go, up and down some slopes. Sometimes the gear refuse to change gear until 2,500 rpm.

I have not serviced my car yet so I can't recommend a service center for you, bro.

dershyong
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Yhchong1212 on 2012-01-28, 3:10 pm

I am having similar problem recently. Whenever I accelerate my fofi above 3k rpm (3rd to 4th gear) I can feel the car is jerking. After that, it appear one or two trouble code. It went off after awhile. This very depend how I control it. No issue if I accelerate less then 2.5k rpm.

I sent my car to SC today. Due to the dealer doesn't not equip the computer system to trace the problem. Therefore, they refer me to SDSC. I went to Jalan Ipoh SC immediately, unfortunately they are on half day today moreover they only has one unit of the computer to share among Malaysia Sc (not sure, how true) The staff there not helpfully and very rude. The SA ask me to bring the car back next week for 2 days for checking. Will update all after I get my car back. Hopefully no major issue.

Yhchong1212
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pakutekan on 2012-01-29, 8:21 pm

my car.. 1st to 2nd gear around 2k-2.5k rpm..
but sometimes can hear/feel weird sound..'grrrrr' or 'krraakkkk' not so obvious.. it is normal for our fofi?

pakutekan
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carbonara on 2012-06-27, 1:12 pm

What u guys are facing, are the nature of dual clutch gearing system... Even the Ferrari California, Nissan GTR, and Golf GTi have these jerkiness issue on stop and go traffic, and everytime u are not pressing the accelerator pedal constantly e.g. banyak sikit banyak sikit banyak sikit... Remember, it's dual clutch... the 2 gears will be 'pening' to get ready on downshift or upshift position... But when u pedal to the metal from standstill, then u'll see the beauty of these system...

About the kraaking sound, well, u cant really judge by typing it... some may think it's loud, some may thinks it's normal... Best is to record it, and paste the link for us to here... That also depends on your quality of recording... No, best is to test drive another fiesta, and compare...

The Fiesta is using a dry gearbox, like Passat, Golf TSi, Jetta, etc... This makes the transmssion to be noisier than the wet system as in Golf GTi...

carbonara
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by redwacko on 2012-06-29, 9:15 am

nicely said carbonara. I have been driving wifey's fofi for almost 3 months now and clocked 500km++, so far the gearbox is very smooth. I also thought that all fofi owners must understand the gb + engine characteristics when it comes to gear change at certain rpm.

yes, driving in/out from a basement parking lot does take alot of effort for the gb to work itself out but nothing abnormal to worry its owners. I look forward to clocking more mileage to see how the engine and gb perform.

oh..have i mentioned how great the sound system is for a small car? ehehe! ok abit off topic but my message here is simple...i truly enjoy driving the fofi!

cheers

redwacko
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carbonara on 2012-06-30, 10:38 am

Dual clutch systems are not meant for basement parking LOL... Well at least with the current technology... Engineers are improving them with every new cars out... Hopefully one day they will be as smooth as CVT

carbonara
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by moolastrikes on 2012-07-02, 11:30 am

Found this website, explains all types of sound you would have expected from the powershift tranny. Hope this helps...

I have just noticed some clicking sound from my Fiesta currently at 2500+ mileage. The sound came from the engine compartment which might be from the gearbox. Is it normal or gearbox problem? Well, can’t say anything now, as mentioned below, it is common sound for the 6-speed Powershift transmission technology.

Powershift transmission common sounds a driver may notice are:

• Double clicking metal sounds. These noises can likely be heard while driving on very smooth surfaces during a 1-2 upshift or a 3-2-1coast down. The sounds occur with every gear engagement, but generally cannot be heard over the background engine, road and wind noises at higher speeds. Most noticeable if the windows are down and the radio is off, these sounds are of the shift forks moving and the synchronizers engaging a gear (similar to a manual transmission). These shifting sounds are part of normal operation.

• Coast down whine. A slight gear whine while slowing or coasting is normal.

• Clicking sounds after the engine is turned off. As the vehicle is powered down, the transmission will cycle the clutches to the released position so it is ready for a safe restart of the engine. This is part of normal operation. Clicking sounds from the transmission immediately after the engine is turned off are normal.

• Low speed grinding. A slight grinding noise may be heard at about 2 MPH. This noise is more evident during “trailer-hitching” events (see below). This noise is caused by a normal bearing rotation and does not affect the durability of the transmission.

• Reverse gear whine. Some PowerShift transmissions will exhibit gear whine in reverse. The level of whine has been significantly reduced in later build vehicles, but can still be detected to some level. This is characteristic of many manual transmissions, and is not a defect or a situation in which a repair should be attempted.

• Trailer-hitching feel. Some customers may experience a trailer-hitching feel (or a slight bumping feel). The trailer-hitching feel may occur in lower forward gears – particularly if the customer is off and on the throttle quickly. It may be more noticeably in a parking lot or when a customer is doing multiple on/off throttle pedal maneuvers. This trailer-hitching/engagement feel is a normal characteristic of the dry clutch-equipped manual transmission design. Conversely, conventional automatic transmissions are equipped with a torque converter. The torque converter is a fluid coupling device which dampens these positive engagements feels.

Source : www[dot]fordtechservice[dot]dealerconnection[dot]com
www[dot]ivancheam[dot]com/blog/6-speed-powershift-transmission-characteristics/
moolastrikes
Verified Member
Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carbonara on 2012-07-02, 6:34 pm

Great reference moolastrikes!... Hopefully wil clear out some worries for owners

carbonara
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nvidia78 on 2012-08-29, 11:29 pm

Great one Smile
nvidia78
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ong wc on 2012-12-10, 2:06 pm

This is what happened to me....

As many have already know that Fiesta Transmission have this krek krek sound when its going uphill or engaging from 2nd - 3rd gear vice versa. This has been there for 1.5 years.
Weeks ago, my Fiesta going up a slope and when it is under power it tried to engage from 3rd to 2nd gear and the car jerk very badly and seems like the car are turning off.
30th November 2012. Going up Genting is a scare. Same . happen and luckily it didnt die there. But it was suffering to climb up the hill. Gear no longer as responsive as it used to be.
1st December 2012, finally it gave up. The car die at Shell Station KESAS (Sri Petaling bound). Car can start but unable to engage into any gears.
Tow-ed to SDAC, PJ. Left it there for 3-4 working days.

Collected my little Fiesta today.

Results:
1) Clutches die (CHANGED)
2) Transmission Control Module failed (CHANGED)

ong wc
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos85 on 2012-12-10, 2:34 pm

Good news is: they change it for you, other fofi owner know this problem.
Bad news: anyone have this problem will not able to drive for few days.. Neutral
Carlos85
Verified Member
Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos85 on 2012-12-10, 2:39 pm

I saw some forums from overseas, those fofi only do some "fixing" in their country. Not change the whole thing for you, a lot of the fofi owner very pissed off with their SC Evil or Very Mad
Carlos85
Verified Member
Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by panz3l on 2013-07-22, 11:49 am

sometime my fofi will facing the high rev problem in car park

panz3l
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by deladela on 2013-07-22, 12:30 pm

panz3l wrote:sometime my fofi will facing the high rev problem in car park

I am guessing your car park requires you to go up a steep gradient uphill. As you go uphill, our Fofi transmission recognizes this and will change its characteristic, so it will hold the revs longer to ensure that our car does not change gears too frequently and lose power.

On normal roads, our Fofi with normal acceleration will change gears at 2k RPM, however, as we're going uphill, it will hold the gears longer at about 3k -3.5k RPM before changing.

So as far as your high rev problem is concerned, it is absolutely normal unless you're going to reply me that your car park does not have uphill areas.
deladela
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by panz3l on 2013-07-23, 11:42 am

deladela wrote:
panz3l wrote:sometime my fofi will facing the high rev problem in car park

I am guessing your car park requires you to go up a steep gradient uphill. As you go uphill, our Fofi transmission recognizes this and will change its characteristic, so it will hold the revs longer to ensure that our car does not change gears too frequently and lose power.

On normal roads, our Fofi with normal acceleration will change gears at 2k RPM, however, as we're going uphill, it will hold the gears longer at about 3k -3.5k RPM before changing.

So as far as your high rev problem is concerned, it is absolutely normal unless you're going to reply me that your car park does not have uphill areas.

ya actually that was in mid valley car park, so since i start my engine, drive out from the parking box, it happened. hmm maybe i remember wrongly as well. let me test it and reply again when i experienced it again Smile

panz3l
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by moolastrikes on 2013-07-23, 8:25 pm

It's the characteristic of the transmission. You'll get used to it and control it better, eventually. Otherwise, you can go to SDAC ask for TCM upgrade. 

I'm happy with my transmission now, so far so good.
moolastrikes
Verified Member
Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Accelerate with high RPM and the car does not move as expected.

Post by ccssh on 2013-08-22, 12:34 am

hi, 

Recently, when i accelerate the fofi and notice rpm going up 4k - 5k, the speed barometer is about 100 km/h.
loud engine sound. is it normal? any issue to the gear box? feel it did not response to change to gear 6.

ccssh
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by moolastrikes on 2013-08-22, 10:21 am

did you on hill grade assist? on flat surface or sloop? 

100km/h should be around 2300rpm on 6th gear

suggest u head straight to SDAC PJ to have a check
moolastrikes
Verified Member
Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by girlieman on 2013-09-07, 11:09 pm

Hi guys..just recently I've had serious vibrating issues on my fofi during 1st to 2nd gear shifting and it's even more pronounced when going up slope with people..

However during normal acceleration it shifts just fine

Don't think it's ever that bad before this

Any opinions?

girlieman
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dares on 2013-09-15, 9:51 pm

girlieman wrote:Hi guys..just recently I've had serious vibrating issues on my fofi during 1st to 2nd gear shifting and it's even more pronounced when going up slope with people..

However during normal acceleration it shifts just fine

Don't think it's ever that bad before this

Any opinions?
Clutch slipping. I've gotten it checked at SDAC and the TCM updated, but the problem persists, so they are arranging clutch replacement for me.

I was keen to get a Focus next year, but with so many complaining about the clutch with the Fiesta (which is the same tech as the Focus), I'm doubtful now.
dares
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by deladela on 2013-09-18, 3:14 pm

Clutch slipping. I've gotten it checked at SDAC and the TCM updated, but the problem persists, so they are arranging clutch replacement for me.

I was keen to get a Focus next year, but with so many complaining about the clutch with the Fiesta (which is the same tech as the Focus), I'm doubtful now.
Seems like you change your car quite often. Should wait for the Fiesta ST. Cool 

However, isn't the Focus using the Wet clutch as opposed to the dry, which our Fofi is using? It should be better.

Thankfully my Fofi does not have any clutch problems at the moment, clocking in at 22k km. It's actually quite smooth. However, I'm pretty sure my disc brakes are warped. Sad

When will the replacement clutch be arriving?
deladela
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dares on 2013-09-18, 10:27 pm

deladela wrote:

Seems like you change your car quite often. Should wait for the Fiesta ST. Cool 

However, isn't the Focus using the Wet clutch as opposed to the dry, which our Fofi is using? It should be better.

Thankfully my Fofi does not have any clutch problems at the moment, clocking in at 22k km. It's actually quite smooth. However, I'm pretty sure my disc brakes are warped. Sad

When will the replacement clutch be arriving?
No idea, should be next month....hopefully in time for my 20k km service so I can do everything in 1 shot.

Is the Focus using wet clutch? I'm not sure also, some Focus owners experience juddering as well but dunno how bad it is.

Probably not changing car, might get a second car and keeping the Fiesta, who knows. At this rate, maybe I'll just get the Proton Suprima so that I'm less butthurt if the car have problem, as oppose to paying 130 grand and have to deal with the same clutch problems *shrugs*

EDIT: I do apologize for the negativity, I love the Fiesta but sometimes the juddering does get on my nerves. But when it is behaving well it drives like a dream. I have a old Vios at home so I know how special my Fiesta is cheers
dares
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by deladela on 2013-09-26, 11:24 am

No idea, should be next month....hopefully in time for my 20k km service so I can do everything in 1 shot.

Is the Focus using wet clutch? I'm not sure also, some Focus owners experience juddering as well but dunno how bad it is.

Probably not changing car, might get a second car and keeping the Fiesta, who knows. At this rate, maybe I'll just get the Proton Suprima so that I'm less butthurt if the car have problem, as oppose to paying 130 grand and have to deal with the same clutch problems *shrugs*

EDIT: I do apologize for the negativity, I love the Fiesta but sometimes the juddering does get on my nerves. But when it is behaving well it drives like a dream. I have a old Vios at home so I know how special my Fiesta is
Yes, it does drive like a dream, some days it feels so smooth (without the help of the constant jam)

I still love getting in my Fofi and driving it even after nearly 2 years. I want the Selectshift! (30k km btw, as opposed to 22k km i wrote earlier)

Sorry, my bad, the wet clutch is only available in the TDCI version. I assumed it was all across the board. Shameful, the petrol version got the dry-clutch.
deladela
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dares on 2013-09-29, 8:59 am

deladela wrote:

EDIT: I do apologize for the negativity, I love the Fiesta but sometimes the juddering does get on my nerves. But when it is behaving well it drives like a dream. I have a old Vios at home so I know how special my Fiesta is
Yes, it does drive like a dream, some days it feels so smooth (without the help of the constant jam)

I still love getting in my Fofi and driving it even after nearly 2 years. I want the Selectshift! (30k km btw, as opposed to 22k km i wrote earlier)

Sorry, my bad, the wet clutch is only available in the TDCI version. I assumed it was all across the board. Shameful, the petrol version got the dry-clutch.
I'd like the selectshift too....but only if they implement the manual mod on the shift gate like VW does, or better yet paddleshifters on the steering Smile

That +/- button on the side of the shift knob macam potong stim je Rolling Eyes
dares
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by deladela on 2013-10-01, 5:10 pm

dares wrote:
deladela wrote:

I'd like the selectshift too....but only if they implement the manual mod on the shift gate like VW does, or better yet paddleshifters on the steering Smile

That +/- button on the side of the shift knob macam potong stim je Rolling Eyes
My List of things I want from the New Fiesta
1. Select Shift with a shift gate
2. Ford SYNC (My sales person told me that our older Model can't support it Sad)
3. Honorable mentions, Auto Headlights & Push Start & Airbags. Rolling Eyes

Owh well...anyways, I feel it so much smoother using BHP as opposed to Shell that I have always been using. It feels so much smoother and less jerky compared to others. As for our transmission, the worst can be felt when being stuck in jam going up a hill. Horrendous!
deladela
NON Verified Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next